ARE YOU DESIGN DRIVEN?
BDI Career Opportunities
BDI is a design driven company and this is reflected in more than just our products. From the way we support our customers to the way we develop relationships with suppliers, there's a great emphasis on relationships and in creating a win-win environment in all that we do.
If you are a well rounded professional with a desire to work for a company that values your input and is committed to innovation and excellence, then BDI may be the place for you. We offer competitive compensation, an attractive benefits package, and the thrill of working for a fast growing design driven company. Offices are located in Chantilly, VA, 5 miles south of Washington Dulles Airport and approximately 25 miles west of Washington, DC.
Product Development Manager
As BDI’s Product Development Manager, you will report directly to our Design Director. In this challenging and highly rewarding position, your abilities to build a team, and to lead and communicate are vital components to our success and will make an immediate impact on the company. This position requires someone with exceptional project management skills who can confidently inspire, lead and advise their team. You will be responsible for the product development process from start to finish, recognizing potential obstacles, finding solutions and recommending more efficient processes. At BDI we have great ideas and strong voices. We want you to organize and communicate the finer details and use your intellect, initiative and creativity to drive the process.
As our Product Development Manager, you appreciate the value of a Gantt chart, you know your way around computer design tools, you know how to evaluate materials and standardize components, and you can effectively communicate with all levels of the organization throughout the process. Details are vital to you and you are proud of the tangible products your hard work creates. You like the challenge of bringing a new concept into reality and you're looking for an organization that recognizes quality and commitment.
BDI designs and markets innovative home furniture including leading edge products for home theaters and home offices. Customers love what we design; critics rave about us. Our passion is Design. Great Design can positively affect everyday life and BDI strives to develop products that energize, comfort and inspire.
What Does Success Look Like?
One year from today, you'll accomplish the following:
- In a design driven environment like ours new products are like oxygen. We count on you to work with marketing, design and production to keep the oxygen flowing. Your well reasoned project schedules (both short and long-term) make the difference in whether a product is a success at shows like the High Point Market, or just a missed deadline. Your success meeting product launch deadlines is immediately reflected in company sales.
- The design department’s creative genius works best when paired with brilliant execution. Your mastery of the details and clear project goals and expectations turn their brilliant ideas into actual products that people can buy and enjoy. Your success in developing detailed product briefs helps our designers understand our needs. Your success at solving problems during development and initial prototyping will allow us to avoid costly delays in bringing new products to market.
- We enjoy an excellent, productive relationship with our suppliers. We’ll rely on you to formalize and document all necessary production issue and testing requirements for our products. You’ll also manage and document all engineering changes.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Prioritize all new product development projects and manage each project through to completion by specific deadline.
- Coordinate proper documentation of all development projects.
- Maintain regular communication with marketing and operations to keep departments informed about upcoming product launches.
- Troubleshoot development issues by working with design and manufacturing to find cost-effective and time critical solutions.
- Develop a process to consistently and rigorously test all new products for safety and durability.
- Develop packaging to ensure our products arrive safely.
- Work with the Chief Operations Officer to evaluate new and ongoing production from factories.
- Keep sustainability at forefront of BDI’s product development effort to create products that are environmentally responsible.
- Visit overseas suppliers 3-4 times a year to evaluate quality, review production processes and ensure the production of products that support BDI’s strong brand.
Experiences and Attributes
- Familiar with Computer Aided Design (CAD) and project management tools like MS-Project. AutoDesk Inventor experience is a plus.
- Strong computer skills and proficient in MS Office.
- Prior involvement in the manufacturing of consumer products or furniture.
- Ability to think strategically while adding value and managing day-today development.
- Concise, accurate, effective communication skills – able to express and defend a point of view, push for a decision and present facts in a convincing way.
- Collaborative and inclusive work style – an inspirational leader who is comfortable sharing both information AND credit.
- Natural curiosity and creative problem solving skills. Can anticipate production challenges and take steps to avoid them.
- Understands materials and process in a manufacturing setting.
- Ability to balance multiple, competing priorities and, when necessary, coordinate additional support.
- Disciplined and very organized; manages to keep others on schedule.
- Not easily thrown off by changing priorities or workload and pushes the process along so decisions can be made.
- Sensitive and respectful of cultural differences when dealing with international suppliers and customers. Exceptional communicator; able to deal with all levels.
- Detail focused; someone who “sweats the details” and always strives to improve.
- Not easily deterred, focused on overcoming obstacles, finding solutions and seeing a task through to successful completion.
What’s Attractive To the Right Person?
- We’re the design leader in an interesting, high profile industry.
- Your highly visible role is essential to our growth and future success.
- You get to develop new products and will work closely with the Design Director.
- Dealers and consumers love our exciting, leading edge products. Critics rave about our design and execution.
- We have a collegial, friendly, professional work environment. It’s a small company where you will know everyone, but you work in a global market.
- You get to problem solve and make things work; then once it works well, you can hand it off and start on a new challenge.
- You can have a big impact interfacing with lots of different people both globally and domestically.
Send or email your resume and cover letter to BDI at the following address.
Attn: Human Resources
14954 Bogle Drive
Chantilly, VA 20151