ARE YOU DESIGN DRIVEN?
BDI Career Opportunities
BDI is a design driven company and this is reflected in more than just our products. From the way we support our customers to the way we develop relationships with suppliers, there's a great emphasis on relationships and in creating a win-win environment in all that we do.
If you are a well rounded professional with a desire to work for a company that values your input and is committed to innovation and excellence, then BDI may be the place for you. We offer competitive compensation, an attractive benefits package, and the thrill of working for a fast growing design driven company. Offices are located in Chantilly, VA, 5 miles south of Washington Dulles Airport and approximately 25 miles west of Washington, DC.
If you want to work where good design matters, where being customer-centric is a core value, where cooperation and enthusiasm are fostered among a great team of people, and where you have daily opportunities to contribute directly to your customer’s success, you should consider BDI.
In this challenging and rewarding position, your abilities to analyze and communicate are vital components to our success and will make an immediate impact on the growth and profitability of the company. You will assist in the New Product Development Stage-Gate process from start to finish, by providing CAD support and assistance to the Product Development team. From the handoff of a preliminary CAD drawing or concept sketch, you will be responsible for further development of 3D Models and 2D production drawings using Autodesk Inventor. At each stage of the development process, you will incorporate changes and revisions to the CAD documentation until it is ready to release to production. You will also support revisions to active product through the Engineering Change Order System. Your work will make an immediate impact on the growth and success of BDI.
BDI is a furniture manufacturer located in Chantilly, VA. In business for 30 years, we are the design leader for Home Entertainment and Home Office furniture, setting the standard for others to follow. Our company itself is as innovative as our extraordinary furniture, and our company growth reflects that innovation, with strong sales in many diverse channels and increasing international presence. Learn more about BDI online at http://www.bdiusa.com.
What Does Success Look Like?
One year from today, you'll accomplish the following:
- In a design-driven environment like ours, working in a fast moving industry like home furnishings, new products are like oxygen. We count on you to work with designers to keep the oxygen flowing. Your success meeting deadlines is critical to our new product introductions.
- The design department’s creative genius works best when paired with brilliant execution. Your skill with Autodesk Inventor will enhance the development of detailed production drawings that will improve our ability to transform brilliant ideas into successful products. Your success in communicating all of the necessary details for production helps our global supply chain understand our needs, resulting in more accurate pricing, and directly supporting our marketing efforts.
- Your ability to assist with product and material specification will help us evaluate the optimal manufacturing facility for production and identify areas for potential cost reduction without compromising product quality.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Report to the Product Development Manager
- Will be responsible for creating 3D CAD Models and 2D CAD detailed product specification drawings using Autodesk Inventor based on concept sketches or models provided by Designers and/or the Product Development team.
- Will follow established best practice CAD Methods such as Part Numbering, Revision and Lifecycle states and using AutoDesk Vault for File Management.
- Report on progress of tasks to PD Manager. Be proactive and ready to change course in light of changing project and design direction circumstances.
- Use the Engineering Change Order process to document revisions made to active products on CAD Documents.
- Will administer the Vault files along with the Product Development Associate and be responsible for file integrity.
- Will work on organizing the Vault structure, creating hardware libraries etc.
- Associate’s Degree in CAD, Engineering Technology or other technical discipline, OR Certificate Course in CADD OR 5+ years of industry experience as equivalent.
- Basic technical knowledge of furniture construction. Prior involvement in the manufacturing of consumer products or furnishings is desirable.
- Knowledge of commonly used hardware in the furniture industry – Cams, Dowels, drawer slides, hinges, door latches etc.
- Experience with 3D CAD Modelling software and preparing detailed, dimensioned 2D CAD production drawings. Experience with Autodesk Inventor and Vault is a plus.
- Understands materials and processes in a manufacturing setting.
- Uses bottom-up modeling approach combined with incorporating parametric best practices.
- Is familiar with best practices in Dimensioning, GD&T, ANSI standards etc.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office software – Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
Teamwork and Collaboration
- Self-motivated with the ability to work cohesively within a team.
- Good project management skills such as being able to prioritize tasks, follow a project timeline, deliver to deadlines.
- Ability to balance multiple, competing priorities.
- Ability to explain an idea either verbally or through sketches.
- Sensitive and respective of cultural differences
- Ability to speak, read and write Mandarin is a plus.
- Excellent written skills. Be able to create detailed production drawings with simple, organized and well laid-out drawing views.
- Understands how to present information to people who may not be adept at reading technical documents.
- Natural curiosity and problem solving skills.
- Ability to balance multiple, competing priorities.
- Appreciation for good design and quality.
- Disciplined and organized.
- Sweats the details and always strives to improve.
Send or email your resume and cover letter to BDI at the following address.
Attn: Human Resources
14954 Bogle Drive
Chantilly, VA 20151