BDI is an innovative design-driven furniture company with a growing brand presence. We place a great emphasis on relationships and in doing so, we strive to create a win-win environment in all that we do. We demonstrate this by supporting our customers, valuing our employees, and developing long-standing relationships with our suppliers.
As a company committed to innovation and excellence, we emphasize building a great culture and we have many dedicated and experienced team members. We don’t just talk about work-life balance; we live it. In addition, we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package plus an outstanding opportunity to work with an award-winning company that designs beautifully functional modern furniture that enhances the way people work, live, and play.
So, if you are innovative, driven, and a passionate professional seeking to work with a company that values your input and where design is at the heart of what it does, then BDI may be the place for you.
In this challenging and rewarding position, your ability to problem-solve, get to the root cause of quality issues, and lead process and product improvement initiatives will be vital to our success and immediately impact the company's growth and profitability. You will be an integral link between Product Development, Quality Control, and Supplier Quality. You will work with the Product Development team to gain an understanding of design and quality expectations, as well as the Operations QC team to evaluate how well those expectations are being met. You will focus on continuous improvement thru problem-solving, testing, and implementing corrective actions. Over time, your experience will help inform the product development process by identifying risks and aiding the team in utilizing our strongest problem-solving asset, design. You will also support our suppliers thru the clear communication of expectations, training, and provide supporting documentation by way of QC checklists, standards, inspection reports, etc. In all of these responsibilities, you will enjoy the full support of our incredibly creative product development team, our dedicated and experienced quality control team, and our excellent supplier network.
What Does Success Look Like In This Job?
One year from today, we would like to see you accomplish the following:
- In a design-driven environment like ours, working in a fast-moving industry like home furnishings, new products are like oxygen. We count on you to work with our Product Development, Operations, and Supply Chain teams to launch new products while avoiding expensive quality challenges down the road.
- The design department’s creative genius works best when paired with brilliant execution. Your recommendations for quality improvements will enhance the development of detailed production drawings that will improve our ability to transform brilliant ideas into successful products with minimal obstacles to launch and quality challenges while in production.
- Your ability to problem solve and get down to the root cause of quality challenges, implement Corrective Actions and follow up on the implementation will allow us to improve our customer satisfaction, while also living one of our core values of “Partnering in our Customers and Suppliers’ success”.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Supports the Product Development Team during the product launch
- Review designs and samples to help identify potential risks and challenges. Propose solutions and agree upon the proper path to mitigate these risks.
- Will play an active role in communicating and sharing frequently encountered production and quality challenges to the Product Development team, to ensure that lessons learned from Corrective Actions are being applied to future designs and products (Preventive Action).
- Aid in the creation and review of assembly instructions for new designs
- Review/check design drawings for accuracy and clear communication of design intent
- Inspect initial production samples, evaluate, and document
- Create feedback presentations and share with suppliers
- Update 3D models and drawings based on Mini-Run review feedback
Active Product (Operations) Support
- Will investigate and problem-solve product-related quality challenges and identify root cause(s).
- Will follow up with necessary Containment, Corrective and Preventive Actions and communicate them to the departments involved (Design, Operations, Vendors, etc)
- Will manage active product Engineering Change Orders and work on implementing CAD changes to 3D models, production drawings, etc. using Autodesk Inventor
- Will be responsible for creating supporting documentation for Quality assurance activities – Product-specific QC Checklists, QC Standards, Inspection Reports, etc.
- Works with suppliers to follow the BDI SOP for maintaining updated Finish Control Panels
- Identifies Value Engineering opportunities on active product
- Document and improve our tracking of common components and replacement parts
- Identifies opportunities for sustainability improvements to help reduce our environmental impact
- Supports our Customer Service team by providing information to answer customer requests and inquiries
- Will support any ongoing Regulatory and Compliance needs.
- Communicate requirements with suppliers and BDI Team members
- Document and keep necessary records
- Audit compliancy
Ideal Candidate Attributes:
The Product Quality Engineer role at BDI will be best suited to an individual with at least 5 years of experience working on quality improvement and engineering projects within a manufacturing environment (furniture is a plus). We are looking for a self-motivated individual who is energized by the detailed work required to implement long-lasting improvements to the processes surrounding our design-driven furniture and the products themselves.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering, Quality Assurance or other technical discipline, OR Certificates from American Society of Quality (ASQ) in CQE, CQM, CQA etc.
- Basic technical knowledge of furniture construction. Prior involvement in the manufacturing of consumer products or furnishings is desirable.
- Knowledge of commonly used hardware and materials in the furniture industry – Cams, Dowels, drawer slides, hinges, door latches, etc.
- Understands materials and processes in a manufacturing setting.
- Uses the Process approach to implementing solutions to problems.
- Experience with commonly used Quality Control tools and methodologies such as 8D Root Cause Analysis, 5 Why’s, Fishbone Diagrams, FMEA’s for Design and Manufacturing, etc.
- Experience reading Production Drawings and creating PPAP dimensional reports, reviewing Vendor Inspection Reports, etc.
- Experience with 3D CAD Modelling software and modifying existing production, detailed 2D drawings. Prior experience with Autodesk Inventor and Vault is a plus.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work cohesively within multiple teams
- Skilled communicator
- Strong verbal communicator. Able to concisely update the team and express ideas clearly.
- Excellent written skills and visual communication. Be able to create detailed QC checklists and quality feedback documents.
- Sensitive and respective of cultural differences
- Understands how to present information to people who may not be experienced at reading technical documents
- Strong analytical training
- Experience using Excel and/or other database tools to aid in tracking and driving accurate conclusions
- Able to design testing parameters to produce helpful data like cost/benefit tradeoff curves
- Support root cause analysis with input from different teams and suppliers
- Commitment and Tenacity
- A drive to see projects thru to implementation and beyond (Plan, Do, Check, Act)
- Good project management skills such as being able to prioritize tasks, follow a project timeline, and deliver to deadlines.
- Ability to balance multiple, competing priorities.
- Natural curiosity and problem-solving skills.
- Detail-focused; someone who “sweats the details” and always strives to improve
- Appreciation for good design and quality.
Job Type: Full-time
- Competitive Salary
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Generous Employee Discount
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Chantilly, VA 20151: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Industrial & Manufacturing Engineers: 5 years (Preferred)
Send or email your resume and cover letter to BDI at: [email protected]